Last week was my presentation and critique with the Portfolio class. One of the big problems that kept coming up was “how is that ginormous butt being supported by those little legs?”. So, first I’ll address that. It was suggested that I drop the abdomen and lengthen the back legs to accommodate for gravity (since it’s not something we can just ignore). Then I ALSO discovered that the leg layers had somehow gotten mixed up so that the back legs were moved to the front and the front legs to the back when I was drawing them. So, that was totally messed up.
I kept as much of the previous spider as I could, but it still required a few hours worth of work and coloring almost all of it over again. Since I was doing so much anyways, I went back and added some design to the abdomen. Anyways, it’s all fixed now.
Speaking of spiders, since staring this project, this little guy moved into the corner between my desk and the wall. I don’t know where he’s getting his food from, but that probably means he’s doing a good job at pest-control, so I won’t move him until I need to.
Next, there was also the mention last week of using Autodesk Sketchbook for character creation because it has a symmetry tool that makes it so you would only need to draw one side and mirror it. I’m going to look more into that when I get back into more of the creature creation.
For now, organic matter. This week was pretty research-intensive again in regards to figuring out how to draw grasses and plants, then demonstrate ground cover. One thing I learned from my garden-obsessive mother is that different plants require different spacing.
I also looked at a few tutorials. If you’re interested, here’s a list:
- Digital Painting Tutorial_Rocks and grass by Jesus Conde
- Mini-Tutorial No.1 – grass- by ValaSedai
- Grass Tutorial by miamaska
- Swamp Tree | Digital Painting (with annotations) by Tom Prante
After looking up some references of ornamental grasses, I came up with 25 silhouette thumbnails to work from.
(I realized after the fact that it might have been useful to number them.)
Of these, I picked out four silhouettes that I liked, color-picked from reference images, and put together these rough ideas.
I think I am going to need to start putting in more hours into this project if I’m to meet my objectives. Still, I’m pretty happy with what I’ve learned and accomplished thus far.